Seeking a knowledgeable and passionate safety professional to lead and manage WHS initiatives & drive a culture of safety across this diverse business.
- Manage WHS and Safeguarding requirements for this highly regarded organisation
- Permanent full-time position
- Adelaide CBD location (head office). Leave the car at home!
YMCA South Australia is a not-for-profit organisation that has served the South Australian community for more than 170 years. With around 800 staff (and growing), they deliver programs and services across the state in settings including community recreation centres, swimming pools, health and fitness facilities, community centres, camps, early education and schools and youth services.
Their aim is to develop the whole person, helping all South Australians connect with a better life. Not only their physical fitness and capabilities, but also their sense of identity, purpose, hope and dignity; psychological health; resilience; social connectedness; lifelong learning; and their own contribution back into the community. All the elements that together constitute a full, healthy, productive and satisfying life.
The YMCA of South Australia has a special responsibility to children, young people, those with a disability, and other vulnerable adults across all operations, including recreation centres, early learning centres, out of school hours care services, disability services, and youth programs.
The role of Safety Officer is integral to their organisation and has a dual focus on safeguarding children and young people together with managing day to day work health and safety requirements across the business.
Reporting to the Head of People & Safety, your core responsibilities will include:
- Developing, implementing, coordinating, and continually improving the organisation’s work, health and safety practices
- Proactively exploring opportunities to continuously improve safeguarding practices to a high standard
- Providing advice, coaching and mentoring to management, staff, and stakeholders on matters relating to safeguarding and work health and safety
- Managing risk assessments, incident reporting, and incident investigations
- Investigating incidents, non-compliances, near misses, and hazard observations ensuring corrective actions are identified and implemented
- Analysing data, identifying trends, and reporting on safety and safeguarding performance monthly
- Managing workers compensation and work-related injuries in consultation with relevant parties
The successful candidate will possess previous experience in a similar role, exceptional communication skills and the ability to build positive working relationships across the organisation.
Additional skills and attributes required include:
- A high level of empathy, initiative, and a willingness to assist others
- A proactive approach, able to work independently as well as part of a team
- Tertiary qualification in work health and safety or a related discipline (minimum Diploma level)
- Accredited qualifications in Return to Work (regulator approved course) and/or Injury Management (highly desirable)
- The opportunity to join a leading provider of recreation, community, and children’s services.
- Free access to YMCA South Australia’s recreation facilities.
- A culture of empowerment and growth with ongoing opportunities for career development.
- A supportive team of passionate and professional individuals.
If you are a safety professional who is seeking an opportunity to join a purpose driven organisation and further develop your skills, we would love to hear from you!
To apply, please forward your resume to Melanie Mansfield at Mansfield and Co Recruitment by clicking APPLY.
Further enquiries can be directed to Mel on 0411 471 822.